Autumn is for Apples
People look forward to fall for many reasons: pumpkin spice everything, changing leaves, cooler temps and even apples. Yes, apples. Fall is the time to find the most variety of apples at their peak flavors. Put an apple pie or cobbler on your meal plan, and get busy looking for the perfect flavor.
According to Farmers’ Almanac online, these are the most commonly found apples in most grocery stores:
- Golden Delicious
The rest of the list can be found by clicking here.
USA Today recently published an article about a brand new variety of apple that will be available on December 1. The new apple is called the Cosmic Crisp, and was developed from research done at Washington State University. Growers there have planted 12 million Cosmic Crisp apple trees, in anticipation that the new apple will be very popular. The Cosmic Crisp is said to be a cross between the Enterprise and Honeycrisp varieties.
If eating apples isn’t enough, the Farmers’ Almanac also published a list of 12 other uses for apples. Here are the top five:
- Apples are used to soothe allergies due to the quercetin in them.
- Put an apple slice into a container to freshen up stale baked goods.
- Put an apple slice into your brown sugar canister to soften it.
- Apples can help vegetables and fruits ripen faster when they are put into a paper bag together.
- Massage apple juice into your scalp to get rid of dandruff flakes.
Does an apple a day really keep the doctor away? Who really knows; but with about 7,500 varieties of apples in the world, surely one of them would.
photo credit: pexels.com